ALICE – Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed:
"ALICE lives in every town and every parish in our state — working as child care providers, aides for the elderly, cashiers, mechanics, and waiters and waitresses. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we witnessed countless ALICE workers provide essential services on the front lines, often times without adequate healthcare access and optimal childcare supports. They are our friends, family, and people we rely on every day – through good times and hard times." — Sarah Berthelot, LAUW President and CEO
To provide a better understanding of ALICE, United Ways throughout Louisiana share this update, which advances the data on ALICE in Louisiana, since our last report was released in 2019. This United Way ALICE Report for Louisiana reveals that 33 percent, or 576,381, of Louisiana households are ALICE and another 18 percent live in poverty. Together, 51 percent of all Louisiana households cannot afford basic expenses — housing, child care, food, transportation, health care, cell phone access, and taxes.
One of our goals in releasing this Report is to provide real data to help families feel less invisible and to find better ways to improve their lives by informing policy makers, coalitions, organizations, employers, and the general public.
Join us in the fight for ALICE families who feel invisible in their struggle to feed their children and hopeless when it comes to achieving financial stability.
Thank you for taking time to learn about ALICE in Louisiana. When ALICE can improve financial stability, we are all stronger and more prosperous.
To access more information about ALICE, click on the links below:
ALICE Project Data for Louisiana (with sublevel details)
Louisiana in the Age of COVID-19: Through the Lens of ALICE
(results for the Louisiana United Way COVID-19 Survey conducted in May, 2020)