ALICE – Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed:
“ALICE lives in every town and every parish in our state — working as child care providers, aides for the elderly, cashiers, mechanics, waiters, and so much more. Each and every day, we witness countless ALICE workers provide essential services that keep our economy moving, often times without adequate health care access and optimal child care supports. They are our friends, family, and people we rely on every day — through good times and hard times,” Sarah H. Berthelot, LAUW President and CEO.
To provide a better understanding of ALICE, United Ways throughout Louisiana share this update, which advances the data on ALICE in Louisiana. This new United Way ALICE Report for Louisiana reveals that 32 percent, or 562,552, of Louisiana households are ALICE and another 19 percent live in poverty. Together, 51 percent of all Louisiana households cannot afford basic expenses — housing, child care, food, transportation, health care, cell phone access, and taxes. From 2019 and 2021, 22,980 additional households in Louisiana found themselves struggling financially, despite tax credits and other pandemic and Federal Emergency Management benefits.
One of our goals in releasing this Report is to provide real data to help families feel less invisible and to find better ways to improve their lives by informing policy makers, coalitions, organizations, employers, and the general public.
Join us in the fight for ALICE families who feel invisible in their struggle to afford the basic costs of living and hopeless when it comes to achieving financial stability.
Thank you for taking time to meet and learn about ALICE in Louisiana. When ALICE can improve financial stability, we are all stronger and more prosperous.
Access more information about ALICE:
Learn more about the financial hardship of Louisiana children through the ALICE in Focus: Children research brief for Louisiana, which indicates that 57% of Louisiana’s children live in households below the ALICE Threshold for financial survival.
Learn more about the financial hardship of People with Disabilities through the ALICE in Focus: People With Disabilities research brief for Louisiana, which indicates that 60% people with disabilities in Louisiana struggle to afford the basics.
For additional web-based research tools and nationwide data, please click here: www.UnitedForALICE.org/Focus-Disabilities.
For additional web-based research tools and nationwide data, please click here: www.UnitedForALICE.org/Focus-Veterans.
Learn more about the ALICE Essentials Index and to explore the impact it has on ALICE through the ALICE Essentials Index - State Fact Sheet for Louisiana, which tracks the rising cost of essentials, including housing, child care, food, health care, transportation and a smartphone plan.
For additional web-based research tools and nationwide data, please click here: UnitedForALICE.org/Essentials-Index.